Rule 92 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Order Sanctioning Refund
Provisions under Rule 92 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Order Sanctioning Refund”, are as under:
CGST Rule 92: Order Sanctioning Refund (Chapter-X: Refund)
(1) Where, upon examination of the application, the proper officer is satisfied that a refund under sub-section (5) of section 54 is due and payable to the applicant, he shall make an order in FORM GST RFD-06 sanctioning the amount of refund to which the applicant is entitled, mentioning therein the amount, if any, refunded to him on a provisional basis under sub-section (6) of section 54, amount adjusted against any outstanding demand under the Act or under any existing law and the balance amount refundable:
Provided that in cases where the amount of refund is completely adjusted against any outstanding demand under the Act or under any existing law, an order giving details of the adjustment shall be issued in Part A of FORM GST RFD-07.
(2) Where the proper officer or the Commissioner is of the opinion that the amount of refund is liable to be withheld under the provisions of sub-section (10) or, as the case may be, sub-section (11) of section 54, he shall pass an order in Part B of FORM GST RFD-07 informing him the reasons for withholding of such refund.
(3) Where the proper officer is satisfied, for reasons to be recorded in writing, that the whole or any part of the amount claimed as refund is not admissible or is not payable to the applicant, he shall issue a notice in FORM GST RFD-08 to the applicant, requiring him to furnish a reply in FORM GST RFD-09 within a period of fifteen days of the receipt of such notice and after considering the reply, make an order in FORM GST RFD-06 sanctioning the amount of refund in whole or part, or rejecting the said refund claim and the said order shall be made available to the applicant electronically and the provisions of sub-rule (1) shall, mutatis mutandis, apply to the extent refund is allowed:
Provided that no application for refund shall be rejected without giving the applicant an opportunity of being heard.
(4) Where the proper officer is satisfied that the amount refundable under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (2) is payable to the applicant under sub-section (8) of section 54, he shall make an order in FORM GST RFD-06 and issue a payment advice in FORM GST RFD-05 for the amount of refund and the same shall be electronically credited to any of the bank accounts of the applicant mentioned in his registration particulars and as specified in the application for refund.
(5) Where the proper officer is satisfied that the amount refundable under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (2) is not payable to the applicant under sub-section (8) of section 54, he shall make an order in FORM GST RFD-06 and issue an advice in FORM GST RFD-05, for the amount of refund to be credited to the Consumer Welfare Fund.
Above information is based on CBEC’s compilation of Updated CGST Rules, 2017 as on 23 Mar. 2018 (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 23 Mar. 2018 by the CBEC). For detailed information/ subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications.
It may be noted that Rules 27 to 137 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were notified by CBEC vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017.