Rule 86 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Electronic Credit Ledger
Provisions under Rule 86 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Electronic Credit Ledger”, are as under:
CGST Rule 86: Electronic Credit Ledger (Chapter-IX: Payment of Tax)
(1) The electronic credit ledger shall be maintained in FORM GST PMT-02 for each registered person eligible for input tax credit under the Act on the common portal and every claim of input tax credit under the Act shall be credited to the said ledger.
(2) The electronic credit ledger shall be debited to the extent of discharge of any liability in accordance with the provisions of section 49.
(3) Where a registered person has claimed refund of any unutilized amount from the electronic credit ledger in accordance with the provisions of section 54, the amount to the extent of the claim shall be debited in the said ledger.
(4) If the refund so filed is rejected, either fully or partly, the amount debited under subrule (3), to the extent of rejection, shall be re-credited to the electronic credit ledger by the proper officer by an order made in FORM GST PMT-03.
(5) Save as provided in the provisions of this Chapter, no entry shall be made directly in the electronic credit ledger under any circumstance.
(6) A registered person shall, upon noticing any discrepancy in his electronic credit ledger, communicate the same to the officer exercising jurisdiction in the matter, through the common portal in FORM GST PMT-04.
Explanation.– For the purposes of this rule, it is hereby clarified that a refund shall be deemed to be rejected, if the appeal is finally rejected or if the claimant gives an undertaking to the proper officer that he shall not file an appeal.
Above information is based on CBEC’s compilation of Updated CGST Rules, 2017 as on 23 Mar. 2018 (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 23 Mar. 2018 by the CBEC). For detailed information/ subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications.
It may be noted that Rules 27 to 137 (pertaining to various Chapters) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 were notified by CBEC vide CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 10/2017 Central Tax dt. 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017.