Rule 58 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Records to be Maintained by Owner or Operator of Godown or Warehouse and Transporters
Provisions under Rule 58 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Records to be Maintained by Owner or Operator of Godown or Warehouse and Transporters”, as per CGST (2nd Amendment) Rules 2017 notified by CBEC on 28 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 1 July 2017, are as under:
CGST Rule 58: Records to be Maintained by Owner or Operator of Godown or Warehouse and Transporters (Chapter-VII: Accounts and Records)
(1) Every person required to maintain records and accounts in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 35, if not already registered under the Act, shall submit the details regarding his business electronically on the common portal in FORM GST ENR-01, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner and, upon validation of the details furnished, a unique enrolment number shall be generated and communicated to the said person.
(2) The person enrolled under sub-rule (1) as aforesaid in any other State or Union territory shall be deemed to be enrolled in the State or Union territory.
(3) Every person who is enrolled under sub-rule (1) shall, where required, amend the details furnished in FORM GST ENR-01 electronically on the common portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(4) Subject to the provisions of rule 56,-
(a) any person engaged in the business of transporting goods shall maintain records of goods transported, delivered and goods stored in transit by him along with the Goods and Services Tax Identification Number of the registered consigner and consignee for each of his branches.
(b) every owner or operator of a warehouse or godown shall maintain books of accounts with respect to the period for which particular goods remain in the warehouse, including the particulars relating to dispatch, movement, receipt and disposal of such goods.
(5) The owner or the operator of the godown shall store the goods in such manner that they can be identified item-wise and owner-wise and shall facilitate any physical verification or inspection by the proper officer on demand.