Rule 16 of ‘Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules 2017’: Suo-moto/ Temporary Registration
Provisions under Rule 16 of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 relating to “Suo-moto/ Temporary Registration”, are as under:
CGST Rule 16: Suo-moto Registration (Chapter-III: Registration Rules)
(1) Where, pursuant to any survey, enquiry, inspection, search or any other proceedings under the Act, the proper officer finds that a person liable to registration under the Act has failed to apply for such registration, such officer may register the said person on a temporary basis and issue an order in FORM GST REG-12.
(2) The registration granted under sub-rule (1) shall be effective from the date of such order granting registration.
(3) Every person to whom a temporary registration has been granted under sub-rule (1) shall, within a period of ninety days from the date of the grant of such registration, submit an application for registration in the form and manner provided in rule 8 or rule 12:
Provided that where the said person has filed an appeal against the grant of temporary registration, in such case, the application for registration shall be submitted within a period of thirty days from the date of the issuance of the order upholding the liability to registration by the Appellate Authority.
(4) The provisions of rule 9 and rule 10 relating to verification and the issue of the certificate of registration shall, mutatis mutandis, apply to an application submitted under sub-rule (3).
(5) The Goods and Services Tax Identification Number assigned, pursuant to the verification under sub-rule (4), shall be effective from the date of the order granting registration under sub-rule (1).
Above information is based on CBEC’s compilation of Updated CGST Rules, 2017 as on 23 Mar. 2018 (i.e. as notified/ amended upto 23 Mar. 2018 by the CBEC). For detailed information/ subsequent updates, please refer relevant Notifications.
It may be noted that Rules 1 to 26 (pertaining to Chapters on Preliminary/ Composition/ Registration matters) were notified by CBEC vide Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017 Notification No. 3/2017 Central Tax dt. 19 June 2017, applicable w.e.f. 22 June 2017.